The periodontium refers to structures including the bone, ligaments, and around the teeth. These structures form the foundation for your teeth. When the periodontal structures are not healthy, it directly affects the health of the surrounding teeth. Some of the common symptoms of unhealthy periodontium include swollen, red or bleeding gums, consistent bad breath (halitosis), loose teeth, changes in the bite and position of the teeth, and the gums pulling away from the teeth.
The office of Chesterfield Hilltown Dental offers comprehensive periodontal treatments to restore the health of your periodontium. Some of these are:
- Scaling and Root Planing: this is a non-surgical treatment for early-stage periodontal disease. It involves a deep cleaning of the mouth using special dental instruments and then smoothing out the root surfaces to prevent the infection from manifesting there again.
- Dental Crown Lengthening: Sometimes also known as a gum lift, this procedure is generally carried out to improve the health of the gum tissue, to prepare the mouth for a procedure, or correct a gummy smile.
- Gingivectomy: this is a surgical procedure used to treat advanced-stage gum disease. It involves removing and reshaping of the deep periodontal pockets between the gums and teeth so that the gums can attach to the teeth again.
- Root Surface Debridement: This is a specialized, deep cleaning of the root surfaces to remove calculus deposits from the deep periodontal pockets formed as a result of gum disease.
- Ridge Preservation: Dental ridge preservation is a procedure performed immediately after the extraction of a tooth, wherein a bone graft is placed at the extraction site to allow maximum preservation of the bone structure after tooth loss.
- Sinus Lift: This is a surgical procedure used to add bone to the upper jawbone ear the premolars and molars.
- Bone Grafting: Bone grafting is done to add jawbone in patients who do not have enough bone density at the site of a lost tooth/teeth to support a prosthetic such as a dental implant.
The periodontal structures offer a stable foundation to your teeth. Preserve and restore the health of your gums and jaw bone with our high-quality periodontal services. Call us at (636) 206-4656. We are located at 130 Hilltown Village Center, Chesterfield, MO 63017 .